- 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 C. water
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped (about 4 C.)
- 1 C. arborio rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 C. fresh spinach, washed thoroughly and chopped
- 1/2 C. shredded vegan Mozzarella cheese
Sauté the onion and bell pepper over low heat until the onion turns tender (usually about 5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and cook another 3 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
Add the water, rice, squash, and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach, drop the heat to low, and cook another 10 minutes. Stir in the Mozzarella till melted. Serve warm.