- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger (I used minced fresh ginger)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 slices of lemon (1/4 inch thick or so)
- 1/2 cup canned (or fresh) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until softened. Stir in lentils, ginger, cumin and coriander and coat with onion/garlic mixture. Add lemon slices, stock, tomatoes, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for about 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Take the pot off the burner, discard lemon slices, and puree soup in blender or food processor. Season if you have not already added the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro.